The Olive Oil + Orange Cake (grain + sugar free)
In 2015 I travelled to Mallorca with my mom and some of our oldest friends. While we were there, we took a train across the island and ended up in a tiny hillside village called Sóller. The area is famous for its beaches and pastries – which happen to be two of my favourite things. So before heading down to Sóller’s port, we went on the hunt through local stores and bakeries for some mighty-fine pastries. We found Pasteleria La Lareña – a traditional patisserie which was everything you’d expect from an authentic, old-fashioned Mallorca. Subsequently, we went on a pastry eating marathon. I don’t know devouring sugary treats before hitting it up on the beach seemed like such a good idea at the time, but it happened and it was incredible.
I bought a Torte de Naranja which is a traditional cake made of orange, almond, olive oil and a lotta sugar. Sitting in the Mediterranean sunshine with one of my best friends, while sharing that torte goodness is one of my favourite memories ever. We swam and ate tapas for the rest of that day, and it’s one I’ll never forget. That’s why it’s a whole new year later and I’m still daydreaming and trying to recreate that Torte de Naranja (minus all of that sugar).
Cooking time: 45 minutes Prep time: 1 hour Makes: 1 medium sized cake / 12 bars
You will need…
- 2 x large oranges
- 2/4 cup xylitol
- 250g almond flour
- 4 x eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsps Olive Oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Flaked almonds, to decorate.
- Preheat your oven to 180. Line a cake or loaf tin with baking paper.
- Boil the two oranges in a pot of water for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Once the oranges have cooked, allow them to cool slightly before pureeing them whole in a food processor.
- In a separate bowl, beat the four eggs and xylitol together. Now, add in the baking powder and stir to combine.
- Add the blended orange mixture in and stir to combine. Fold in the almond flour.
- Once combined, pour the cake mixture into the lined baking tin and bake for 45 minutes.
- Once the cake is cooked through and is golden-brown, place onto a cooling rack and allow to cool down.
- Sprinkle flaked almonds over the cake, serve and enjoy.